Saturday 31 May 2014

POST MODERNISM

Post Modernism within Photography!!

Beginning of the mid-to-late 1960's, when Abstract Expressionism had already been falling out of public favour for some time, many artists were turning towards mixed media art forms, such as
- Conceptualism
- Super-Realism
- Neo-expressionism
which in turn were the founding movements of Post Modern Art.
It often is an expression of the idea of utopianism in ideal or absolute form.

BAUHAUS

Bauhaus has attempted this idea through a minimalist way. He's helped add to the idea that Postmodernism is an attempt to muddy lines drawn falsely clear. 

Often pictures of somewhere where the area really isn't beautiful, and nothing special, has been captured in a way that makes you want to go there and think it's actually amazing.

I like Postmodernism in this sense. I like the idea that it makes me want to go somewhere which is actually nothing special, but the part of Postmodernism that I don't like are the portraits. Although yes, the point of a lot of portraits was to make the ugly person (or what society would consider ugly) seems beautiful, to me I just don't relate and often don't see the beauty.




These kind of images, although they are art and not always meant to be understood, I don't find this kind of Postmodernism interest or interesting however, I do enjoy when fashion photography incorporates Postmodernism like this:
I like fashion Postmodernism, although it does almost cross into Pop art as well, but just without the products or mainstream imagery (but not always). I like the bright colours and beauty of the figure, doing something that's considerably still not beautiful but she's made this seem so. 


No comments:

Post a Comment